RACE DAY DETAILS
NOTE: THESE ARE THE DETAILS FOR 2017... all subject to change for 2018 event.
PLEASE DON'T BE THE NORM; meaning... READ ALL details & STUDY MAPS.
ALL SWIMMERS: BROOKWOOD SCHOOL - 1 Brookwood Rd. Manchester, MA 01944. We will be providing shuttle service to the registration site from 5:45AM to 12:30PM running approximately every 15 mins. and carries 40 plus people. Be patient... if you have to wait for a bus, most likely you would be waiting at check-in/registration line instead.
ALL KAYAKERS/SUPS/ROWERS : TUCK'S POINT PARKING LOT - 17 Tuck's Point Rd. Manchester, MA 01944 Parking on-site to allow unloading of boats and gear.
NOTE: UNFORTUNATELY NO DOGS ALLOWED AT TUCK'S POINT PARK. No leaving in car... I'm sure I didn't need to say that.
MISERY CHALLENGE SCHEDULE
• 5:45 am: Parking opens for Swimmers at Brookwood School.
• 6:00 am: Parking opens for Paddlers/Rowers/Kayaks at Tuck's Point.
• 6:00 am: Registration opens for all Challengers.
• 7:20 am: Registration closes for all Paddlers.
• 7:45 am: Registration closes for all Swimmers.
• 7:30 am: Pre-Race Mandatory Meeting for SUPs & Kayakers Only. Location: on the water behind the starting line.
• 7:45 am: RECREATION SUPs & Kayaks START. Cross start line in order of your bib number unless otherwise directed. Time trial format 5-10 seconds in between each.
• 8:05 am: RACE Sups (12’6'/14’) and Kayaks START. For the most part you start in order of SUP class and your bib number. This will be a Time Trial format with 10 seconds in between each of you...this time may not be exact, but close.
- Race Kayaks defined by: "if you think you have a shot at getting on the podium... go here.
- Start order will be: Race Kayaks first, then 12'6 Females, then 12'6 Males. Last will be 14' Male SUPs. Your time starts and finished when you cross the start/finish line. So if you start last... hunt 'em down!
• 8:15 am: Pre-Race Mandatory Meeting for all Swimmers on beach.
• 8:20 am: Start for all Swimmers (self-seeding, start will be done 2x2, time trial format)
• 9:00 am: Registration closes for all Rowers.
• 9:30 am: Pre-Race Rower Meeting (behind starting line)
• 9:40 am: Rower Start - 2x first, 1x to follow, time trial format with 10 seconds in between.
• 9am-12:30pm: Food. Beer. Wine. Party 'til dawn! (well not really)
• 11:00/11:15am: Awards/Prizes: win prizes from Surfari or even a one-of-a-kind BAREFOOT PADDLE BOARD and more!
*all times subject to change slightly prior to race day.
A CHALLENGE INDEED.
You are always guaranteed a twist thrown into the Misery Challenge! Tides, boat traffic, wind, current, racing speeds of the different craft, water depths and temps all play into making this a challenge both as a racer and for me as a race director! However, after much focus and determination, we have created some interesting course layouts designed primarily for safety, but also to throw "a little heat" into your journey to Misery and back.
NEW THIS YEAR
We take on the Challenge as one - paddlers, rowers and swimmers will be hitting the water together in 2018. The paddling/rowing course is 4 miles and the swim course 3 miles. We will be sending you off at different starting times to allow you to clear some shared space. Swimmers have the right of way IF there are any times you are near each other.
NEW COURSE ENFORCEMENT
• You must follow ALL BUOYS and course directions. In certain places you will find two buoys next to each other. These will act as GATES which you MUST go between.
• TIME PENALTY: Failure to correctly follow/turn around ALL buoys will result in a time penalty of up to 30 seconds to be added to your time.
• If you are being overtaken, give the faster boat the inside line. a.k.a. move over and give way.
SAFETY / GUIDES / SUPPORT CREW
• There will be numerous SUPs, Kayak and Patrol Boats there to keep you safe and guide you through the course. Pay attention...if you see someone waving or hear them yell at you... do what they say.
• If anyone decides to exit the race before the Finish Line, RACE OFFICIALS MUST BE NOTIFIED. Don't make us search for you!
• If you or someone is in trouble, waive arms or paddle, blow whistle or yell until someone arrives. If you need to stop to help someone, record time and we will deduct off of your finish time.
• Swimmers will be given a small Warm-Up area around beach and docks. When warming-up please be very aware of all boat activity.
• Rowers, Kayakers, and SUPs - Warm-Up area is amongst the moored boats in the inlet behind parking lot and Chowder House. DO NOT GO IN CHANNEL.
• Temp is hopefully going to be above 60 degrees as it is currently 63 degrees. Bring a wetsuit in case, as even low 60's a suit is highly recommended. An official call on suit/no suit will be made day of.
• Low Tide is at 10:20am... you will all have plenty of water going out. Less water coming in but clearance for your craft if you stick to the course. Swimmers, you will eventually be forced to walk last bit of the course.
• You may see some brown stuff in the water... it ain't poop. It's a harmless algae bloom... need more info on it: Harmless Bloom
TIME PARAMETERS 2018
• All Paddlers and Swimmers will have 2 hrs. from your start time to complete the Challenge.
• Rowers, this year you will have 1hr 15 mins to finish.
DON'T BE A KNUCKLEHEAD ON RACE DAY. STUDY THESE MAPS!
SWIMMERS COURSE DETAILS
· START on Tuck’s Point beach
· Cross the channel keeping the first ORANGE buoy on your right
· Pass through the double ORANGE buoy GATE and bear right
· Keep the next ORANGE buoy (it's a solo buoy) on your LEFT and then turn left
· Pass through 2nd double ORANGE buoy GATE and proceed straight
· Keep the next ORANGE site buoy on your right.
· Round the farthest ORANGE buoy CLOCKWISE in front of Misery island
· Head due north keeping the next ORANGE buoy on your right, and bear right
· Keep the next YELLOW triangle buoy on your right
· Pass through the double ORANGE buoy GATE and proceed straight
· Keep the next two ORANGE buoys on your right
· FINISH on Tuck’s Point Beach
· We will have support crew helping to guide you.
Swimmers you will cross the channel twice at the beginning of the race: once at the start, and again about 250-350 yards out. This turn has caused confusion in the 2015, but is very simple if you look at the map closely. Swimmers will end with a 150-200 yd. shallow water/beach run near the yacht club. We will do our best to clear the way of any debris (shells, rocks etc.). We cannot guarantee you won't step on something unwanted. If you feel more comfortable wearing booties or light protection, please do so.
Swimmers will start in pairs and should line up with the fastest swimmers first. Self-select your starting position based on your ability. Expecting to win? Front of the line. Timing is on a chip, so swimmers MUST check in with RaceWire and shout out their number before they enter the water. This is key for safety.
KAYAKS/ROWERS/SUPS COURSE DETAILS
THE COURSE BREAKDOWN: SEE MAPS ABOVE AND STUDY THE BUOYS. NO CUTTING BUOYS. TIME PENALTIES ENFORCED THIS YEAR.
*Rowers you are facing backwards as you know, so adjust left/right accordingly.
· START is in front of Tuck’s Point Rotunda
· GO THROUGH BAREFOOT WINE (PURPLE) STARTING BUOYS.
· HEAD FOR ORANGE buoy (not seen on maps)
· Proceed through the wide DOUBLE ORANGE BUOY Gate
· STRAIGHT TO THE FIRST YELLOW Gate, bear right
· GO DIRECTLY TO THE SOLO YELLOW TRIANGLE BUOY.
· Keep SOLO YELLOW TRIANGLE on your Left as you turn.
· HEAD DIRECTLY FOR THE RIGHT POINT OF MISERY - right side of Misery if looking out to it. Note: there is no buoy here, just the land.
· GO AROUND Big Misery Island COUNTER-CLOCKWISE.
· Once around island, head for 2 YELLOW BARREL Gate on return.
· Pass through the FINAL ORANGE GATE and head towards the red domed Rotunda (finish area)
· Pass the final ORANGE buoy on your left and cross the Channel carefully.
· FINISH-LINE IS WHERE YOU STARTED. Please move out of the finish area as quickly as possible.
PADDLERS/ROWERS PAY ATTENTION.
YOU MUST HAVE A USCG APPROVED P.F.D ON YOUR VESSEL OR BODY AT ALL TIMES. A LEASH IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR S.U.P.s.
YOU MUST BE VERY AWARE OF NON-EVENT BOATS AT ALL TIMES ON THE COURSE... ESPECIALLY IN CHANNEL CROSSING NEAR START AND FINISH LINES. WE AIM TO CONTROL THE COURSE BUT CANNOT CONTROL EVERY SCENARIO. BE AWARE.
BOATS MAY BE ONLY LAUNCH CRAFT IN APPROPRIATE AREAS - SEE RACE OFFICIALS.
START AND FINISH FOR STARTING LINE-UP WILL BE CONGESTED, BUT WE WILL HAVE YOU IN BIB ORDER. GET IN LINE BEHIND THE PERSON NUMERICALLY AHEAD OF YOU. YOU WILL BE STARTING IN ORDER OF YOUR BIB NUMBER AND MUST COME THROUGH THE BAREFOOT WINE & BUBBLY START BUOYS SINGLE FILE.
CAUTION: WHEN ROUNDING MISERY ISLAND AND CUTTING BETWEEN BIG AND LITTLE MISERY ISLAND WATER DEPTHS VARY. BE AWARE OF ROCKS CLOSE TO SHORE. PLEASE AVOID ALL MOORED BOATS.
NO CRAFT SHOULD BE PLACED ON TUCK'S POINT PARK BEACH BEFORE/AFTER THE RACE!
HAVE FUN. MAKE IT HURT :). SUPPORT EACH OTHER...and remember, "MISERY LOVES COMPANY."