RACE DAY DETAILS
*Please note some changes may occur prior or on race day.
DON'T BE THE NORM; meaning... READ ALL details & STUDY MAPS.
ALL SWIMMERS: BROOKWOOD SCHOOL - 1 Brookwood Rd. Manchester, MA 01944. We will be providing shuttle service to the registration site from 5:45AM to 12:30PM running approximately every 15 mins. and carries 40 plus people. Be patient... if you have to wait for a bus, most likely you would be waiting at check-in/registration line instead.
ALL KAYAKERS/SUPS/ROWERS : TUCK'S POINT PARKING LOT - 17 Tuck's Point Rd. Manchester, MA 01944 Parking on-site to allow unloading of boats and gear.
NOTE: UNFORTUNATELY NO DOGS ALLOWED AT TUCK'S POINT PARK. No leaving in car... I'm sure I didn't need to say that.
MISERY CHALLENGE SCHEDULE (again... subject to small changes)
• 5:55 am: Parking opens for Swimmers at Brookwood School.
• 6:00 am: Parking opens for Paddlers/Rowers/Kayaks at Tuck's Point.
• 6:00 am: Registration opens for all Challengers.
• 7:20 am: Registration closes for all Paddlers.
• 7:30 am: Registration closes for all Swimmers.
• 7:30 am: Pre-Race Mandatory Meeting for Rowers, SUPs & Kayakers Only. Location: on the water behind the starting corral/line.
• 7:45-:50am: ROWERS & KAYAKS START. Cross start line in order of your bib number unless otherwise directed. Rowers go first and the Kayaks. All will be done time trial format with 5-10 seconds in between each.
• 7:55 am: RECREATIONAL SUPS, RACE SUPS 12'6 MALE AND FEMALE, RACE SUPS MALE AND FEMALE 14’) START. For the most part you start in order of SUP class and your bib number. This will be a Time Trial format with 10 seconds in between each of you...this time may not be exact, but close.
• 8:05 am: Pre-Race Mandatory Meeting for all Swimmers on beach.
• 8:10-:15 am: LONG COURSE Start for all Swimmers (self-seeding, start will be done 2x2, time trial format) SHORT COURSE START to follow long course within 7-10 minutes. Again, self- seed.
• 10:15 ALL SWIMMERS MUST BE OFF THE WATER
• 9am-12:30pm: Food. Beer. Wine. Party 'til dawn! (well not really)
• 10:45am Awards/Prizes: win prizes even if you ain’t super fast!
*all times subject to change slightly prior to race day.
A CHALLENGE INDEED.
You are always guaranteed a twist thrown into the Misery Challenge! Tides, boat traffic, wind, current, racing speeds of the different craft, water depths and temps all play into making this a challenge both as a racer and for me as a race director! However, after much focus and determination, we have created some interesting course layouts designed primarily for safety, but also to throw "a little heat" into your journey to Misery and back.
AGAIN THIS YEAR
We take on the Challenge as one - paddlers, rowers and swimmers will be hitting the water together again in 2019. The paddling/rowing course is 4 miles, swim course 3 miles and new this year… Little Misery - a 1.5 mile swim course. We will be sending you off at different starting times to allow you to clear some shared space. Swimmers have the right of way IF there are any times you are near each other.
NEW COURSE ENFORCEMENT
• You must follow ALL BUOYS and course directions. We will have folks positioned near buoys so please follow their guidance.
• TIME PENALTY: Failure to correctly follow/turn around ALL buoys on the appropriate side may result in a time penalty of up to 30 seconds to be added to your finish time.
• If you are being overtaken, give the faster boat the inside line. a.k.a. move over and give way.
SAFETY / GUIDES / SUPPORT CREW
• There will be numerous SUPs, Kayak and Patrol Boats there to keep you safe and guide you through the course. Pay attention...if you see someone waving or hear them yell at you... do what they say.
• If anyone decides to EXIT the race before the Finish Line, RACE OFFICIALS MUST BE NOTIFIED. Don't make us search for you!
• If you or someone is in trouble, waive arms or paddle, blow whistle or yell until someone arrives. If you need to stop to help someone, record time and we will deduct off of your finish time.
If for any reason (lighting, shark sighting, etc.) you are asked to leave the water to get to nearest shore or into a support boat EXIT IMMEDIATELY. PLEASE DO SO WITHOUT PANIC… even if you want to.
• Swimmers will be given a small Warm-Up area around beach and docks. When warming-up please be very aware of all boat activity.
• Rowers, Kayakers, and SUPs - Warm-Up area is amongst the moored boats in the inlet behind parking lot and Chowder House. DO NOT GO IN CHANNEL.
• Temp is hopefully going to be above 60 degrees as it is currently 63 degrees. Bring a wetsuit in case, as even low 60's a suit is highly recommended. An official call on suit/no suit will be made day of.
• High-Tide is at 10:22 am... you will all have decent water going out and even more coming in with plenty of clearance for all boats/boards if you stick to the course. Swimmers, you will have a short rocky beach start and finish and need to be mindful of any small boats, docks or pylons which we will point out on race day.
TIME PARAMETERS 2019
• All Paddlers and Swimmers will have 2 hrs. from your start time to complete the Challenge.
• Rowers, this year you will have 1hr 30 mins to finish.
DON'T BE A KNUCKLEHEAD ON RACE DAY. STUDY THESE MAPS!
SWIMMERS ORANGE COURSE
· ALL Swim buoys will be ORANGE except Green Short Course Turn Buoy. ALL buoys will be passed on the right side. So your left shoulder should be on the right side of the buoy or simply put, ALWAYS keep the buoy to your LEFT or stay to the outside of the buoy.
. START on Tuck’s Point beach
· Make a hard right and go between Manchester Yacht Club and their Dock. You swim under the ramp going down to the dock. BEWARE of any pylons or small row boats. This is NOT the place to try to pass other swimmers. Keep it tight.
· Head straight out towards two small orange buoys. STAY OUT OF CHANNEL AT ALL TIMES.
· Pass the first ORANGE BUOY #1. Keep buoy to your LEFT.
· Continue on to ORANGE Buoy #2 and ORANGE BUOY #3. Keep Buoys to your LEFT.
· BUOY 4 is GREEN TURN BUOY FOR SHORT COURSE. Short Course Turn and head back the way you came. Long Course: Contine to ORANGE Buoy 5 which will bring you towards the far right side of the island. This is the start of the Loop.
· Go by Buoy 5 as you start the COUNTER CLOCKWISE LOOP here. You will pass Buoys 6 and 6 before heading back towards Tucks Point.
· Buoy 6 will be the closest buoy to Misery. A 1 min. time penalty assessed if you miss Buoy 6.
· Pass Buoy 7 and then start heading back to Buoy 3, and Buoy 2.
· You can take whatever line you prefer as long as Buoy 3 and 2 are to your left.
· Make way to Buoy 1 and along Glass Head towards Yacht Club. NO GOING IN CHANNEL.
· As you approach MYC please pay attention again to pylons and small row boats. Pay attention to spotters directions (no going in Channel).
· FINISH on Tuck’s Point Beach with a smile.
Please note: We will have support crew helping to guide you along the way. We will do our best to clear the way of any debris (shells, rocks etc.). We cannot guarantee you won't step on something unwanted. If you feel more comfortable wearing booties or light protection, please do so.
Swimmers will start in pairs and should line up with the fastest swimmers first. Self-select your starting position based on your ability. Expecting to win? Front of the line. Timing is on a chip, but swimmers MUST check in with RaceWire and shout out their number before they enter the water. This is key for safety.
IN CASE OF EMERGENCY AND WATER EVACUATION PLEASE CALMLY FOLLOW PATROL AND SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS. BOARDING OF PATROL BOATS AND MOORED BOATS ARE ALLOWED/ENCOURAGED. AND GETTING TO SHORE QUICKLY/EASILY IF POSSIBLE MAY BE ADVISED.
Non-Wetsuit top finishers... be sure to let the Racewire folks know you swam suit-less (wetsuit-less that is!) to qualify for 1st place.
KAYAKS/ROWERS/SUPS YELLOW COURSE
* SEE MAPS ABOVE AND STUDY THE BUOYS. NO CUTTING BUOYS. TIME PENALTIES ENFORCED THIS YEAR.
* START AND FINISH FOR STARTING LINE-UP WILL BE CONGESTED, BUT WE WILL HAVE YOU IN BIB ORDER. GET IN LINE BEHIND THE PERSON NUMERICALLY AHEAD OF YOU. YOU WILL BE STARTING IN ORDER OF YOUR BIB NUMBER AND MUST COME THROUGH THE BAREFOOT WINE & BUBBLY START BUOYS SINGLE FILE. CALL YOUR BIB OUT AS YOU APPROACH THE LINE.
* Rowers these directions are based on facing forward. You are facing backwards as you know, so adjust left/right accordingly.
* Buoys this year should be all YELLOW. Keep all buoys GOING OUT TO YOUR RIGHT SIDE. On the RETURN KEEP BUOYS TO YOUR LEFT
· START is in front of Tuck’s Point Rotunda
· GO SINGLE FILE through small orange STARTING/FINISHING BUOYS.
· HEAD FOR ORANGE BUOY GATE . Go BETWEEN these two smaller ORANGE buoys.
· Proceed to the large Yellow Buoy about half-way to Misery. THIS BUOY IS TO BE PASSED ON RIGHT SIDE. Don't cut it or go inside towards swim course. DO NOT GO TO GREEN BUOY (that is for return only).
· Now point towards 2nd Yellow Buoy which will be place to the right side of Misery Cove. This buoy must be turned on - keep the buoy to your RIGHT. A 30 second time penalty will be issued if cut.
· Proceed COUNTER CLOCKWISE AROUND MISERY. There will be no buoys until your return from the island. Follow shore line when in doubt.
· Once around island, head for 3rd Yellow BUOY which will be about half-way back to Tucks Point. NOTE: Keep this buoy to your LEFT.
· Head towards GREEN RETURN BUOY. Keep Buoy to your LEFT.
Then go back through Orange Gate (same as after start)
· Cross the Channel carefully and yield to motorized boats if they are on-coming.
· Orange buoys = FINISH-LINE. Please move out of the finish area as quickly as possible.
PADDLERS/ROWERS PAY ATTENTION.
YOU MUST HAVE A USCG APPROVED P.F.D. ON YOUR VESSEL OR BODY AT ALL TIMES. A LEASH IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR S.U.P.s.
YOU MUST BE VERY AWARE OF NON-EVENT BOATS AT ALL TIMES ON THE COURSE... ESPECIALLY IN CHANNEL CROSSING NEAR START AND FINISH LINES. WE AIM TO CONTROL THE COURSE BUT CANNOT CONTROL EVERY SCENARIO. BE AWARE.
BOATS MAY BE ONLY LAUNCH CRAFT IN APPROPRIATE AREAS - SEE RACE OFFICIALS.
CAUTION: BE AWARE OF ROCKS CLOSE TO SHORE. PLEASE AVOID ALL MOORED BOATS.
NO CRAFT SHOULD BE PLACED ON TUCK'S POINT PARK BEACH BEFORE/AFTER THE RACE!
HAVE FUN. MAKE IT HURT :). SUPPORT EACH OTHER and remember...