A CHALLENGE INDEED.
You are always guaranteed a twist thrown into the Misery Challenge! Tides, boat traffic, wind, current, racing speeds of the different craft, water depths and temps all play into making this a challenge both as a racer and for me as a race director! However, after much focus and determination, we have created some interesting course layouts designed primarily for safety, but also to throw "a little heat" into your journey to Misery and back.
What's new this year you ask?
- Paddlers, rowers and swimmers will be hitting the water together in 2017. The paddling/rowing course is 4 miles and the swim course 3 miles. We will be sending you off at different starting times to allow you to clear some shared space.
- In certain places you will find two buoys next to each other... these will act as gates which you MUST go between.
- Failure to go between the gates will result in a time penalty to be taken off of your finish time. Yup, I am mean... but need to keep you in-line!
- Some gates will be shared by both paddlers and swimmers at different times in the race. Starting times will prevent boats from being in the same space except for a few craft in the yellow squared zone during rowing start/paddler finish. See below on map. This area will be monitored by race officials.
- Swimmers... about 250-350 yards from start you cross the channel again (1st time is at the start) to make your way out to Misery. This turn has caused confusion in the 2015, but is very simple if you look at the map closely.
- Swimmers will end with a 150-200 yrd. shallow water/beach run. We will do our best to clear the way of any debris (shells, rocks etc.), however we cannot guarantee you won't step on something unwanted. If you feel more comfortable wearing booties or light protection, please do so.
- All competitors will have 2 hrs. from their start time to complete the Challenge. Train up!
DON'T BE A KNUCKLEHEAD ON RACE DAY. STUDY THESE MAPS!
MISERY CHALLENGE STARTING TIMES
- 7:30am: Pre-Race Mandatory Meeting for all Paddlers (Sups, Kayakers)
- 7:45am: Start for all Sups & Kayaks (start will be in order of division and your bib number time trial format)
- 8:05am: Pre-Race Meeting for all Swimmers on beach.
- 8:15am: Start for all Swimmers (start will be done 2x2 time trial format)
- 9:15am: Pre-Race Rower Meeting
- 9:20am: Rower Start (2x first, 1x to follow, time trial format)
*all times subject to change prior to race day.
YOU WILL BE STARTING AND FINISHING FROM THE TUCK'S POINT BEACH. YOU WILL HAVE A WALK/RUN FINISH NEAR THE YACHT CLUB. SAND BOTTOW WITH OCCASIONAL ROCKS BUT WE WILL TRY TO CLEAR A PATH FOR YOU. BUOY DETAILS TO COME. WATERS MAY REQUIRE WALKING.
YOU WILL ALL BE SENT OFF IN PAIRS (TWO BY TWO). YOU MUST CHECK IN WITH RACEWIRE AND SHOUT YOUR NUMBER BEFORE YOU ENTER THE WATER (THIS IS KEY FOR SAFETY). SELF-SELECTED YOUR STARTING POSITION BASED OFF OF ABILITY. EXPECTING TO WIN THIS THING? FRONT OF THE LINE. SEE THIS AS A CHALLENGE? WHEREVER COMFORTABLE. REMEMBER, TIMING IS ON A CHIP. WHEREVER YOU START, YOUR TOTAL TIME IS WHAT OFFICIALLY COUNTS.
KAYAKS AND PADDLERS:
BEWARE OF CHANNEL CROSSING NEAR START AND FINISH LINES. LAUNCH CRAFT IN APPROPRIATE AREAS. NO CRAFT SHOULD BE PLACED ON TUCK'S POINT PARK BEACH!
START AND FINISH FOR STARTING LINE-UP WILL BE CONGESTED BUT WE WILL HAVE YOU IN BIB ORDER. GET IN LINE BEHIND THE PERSON NUMERICALLY AHEAD OF YOU. YOU WILL BE STARTING FOR THE MOST PART, IN ORDER OF YOUR BIB NUMBER.
PLEASE TAKE CAUTION OF MOORED BOATS. REMEMBER... WE WANT TO BE ASKED BACK!